With our lives being completely disrupted from the normal, it’s easy to get off schedule and in a rut. The best thing we can do is try to create a new routine that includes all the things that are essential to your health and well-being. Here are some tips to creating a routine that works for you….
- Sleep at a regular time, ideally before 11pm so that you can get at least 7-8 hours of quality sleep.
- Wake up at a regular time. If you’re getting step #1 done, that would mean anytime between 6-7am.
- Include some form of activity for at least 30 minutes a day. This can include outdoor activities such as walking, jogging, biking, etc.
- Spend anywhere from 5-30 minutes meditating. If you’re new at it, just 5 minutes is all you need to start. Just sit with your eyes closed and focus on one thing. It could be your breathing, a certain colour or object. The goal is to decrease the number of thoughts during this time.
- Plan out your meals and meal times to stay consistent. This will discourage you from snacking all the time or eating at irregular times.
- Plan out your activities for the day. If you are working from home, you will have an easier time keeping a schedule but if you are off work for the time being, you need to find things to keep you productive…and this doesn’t include being on social media or watching the news for hours.
- Try something new, work on clearing out a part of your house, read a book, connect with friends that you haven’t talked to in a while and plan out family activities within the home.
I find that if I can do steps 1-4, I’m already on track with my day and I have time to do the things I want to do later in the day. I admit, I’m not being as productive right now and I’m okay with this and so should you. I take this time as a blessing and give gratitude for the things I have in my life and use this as a time for self-reflection, growth and focusing on my health. If you’ve always been a busy person, this might be a difficult time for you. Take the time to slow down and focus on the positive things in life and your day will be much more enjoyable. Remember that creating this routine starts with the mind and so we must create a mindset for creating our ideal routine to be successful.
I would love to hear how you are all spending your days and let us know if there is something that has helped you in this crazy time of ours. Watch for my Instagram video on this topic and comment with your favorite thing to do that you may not have had time for before.
Stay safe and Healthy!!